1794
No.13 was constructed under a draft building agreement of 24 June 1794 between the Whig politician, William Wyndham (1759-1834) Baron Grenville, and the architect, Samuel Wyatt.
1796
Rate-books indicate that No. 13 Cleveland Row was completed by 1796. Some have suggested that the design of the house was the work of Lady Grenville, however, it is thought more likely that Samuel Wyatt was the architect. Wyatt was Clerk for many years of the Works to Chelsea Hospital, where he died in 1807, aged seventy.
1800
Lord Grenville occupied his house only until 1800, when the new owner Miles Peter Andrews (proprietor of gunpowder mills in Dartford, Kent) succeeded him. Andrews was the author of several vulgar, yet successful plays and held lavish events at No. 13 which were ‘a great attraction to the fashionable world’.
1814
Upon Andrews’ death in 1814, Cleveland row was occupied by the maritime and international lawyer, Sir William Scott (later Baron Stowell). He was a great eater, drinker and bon vivant, known by his biographer as a ‘two-bottled man’. In 1812 he met his second wife (the widowed Lady Sligo) whilst passing sentence on her son for having enticed two seamen of the Royal Navy to desert from a man-of-war at Malta and join the crew of his private yacht, which was too short-handed to make the journey home to Ireland. The marriage was not a happy one and they ultimately divorced. Scott was a wit, a scholar and the master of a cold, polished eloquence. On many maritime projects, his judgements are still the only law.
1817
John George Lambton, later Earl of Durham, took over No. 13., after which it became known as Durham House. After his death in 1840, members of his family occupied the building until 1844. Later that year the Crown lease was acquired by Sir James Matheson. Sir James renamed the house after his Scottish seat, Stornoway Castle, Ross-shire. When he died in 1878, his widow, Lady Lavinia (his 2nd wife) continued to occupy Stornoway House until 1896.
1898
From 1898 to 1924 Stornoway House was occupied by Francis Alfred Lucas, a colonel in the army, and then by his widow, Alice.
1926
Stornoway House was taken by Max Aitken, 1st Baron Beaverbrook, the British financier, newspaper proprietor and politician, born in Canada. In 1919 Beaverbrook purchased a majority interest in the Daily Express and two years later founded the Sunday Express. In 1929 he bought the London Evening Standard. Between the wars he used his newspapers, in particular the Daily Express, which became the most widely read ‘daily’ in Britain, to campaign for Empire and Free Trade and against the policies and personality of the then Prime Minster, Stanley Baldwin. During the First World War he served in Lloyd George’s cabinet as Minister of Information. During the Second World War he served from 1940 to 1941 in Churchill’s cabinet as Minister of Aircraft Production.
1940
Stornoway House was partially destroyed by enemy action.
1958
1958-1959: The house was rebuilt, however only the outside walls were retained. The first lessee of the rebuilt property was a holding company called Firth Cleveland.
1970
Mid-1970s: Stornoway House became the offices of the oil exploration company Britoil.
1995
Stornoway House was the headquarters of Granada Television from the mid-1990s through to 2001.
2002
In 2002 Foster and Partners were commissioned to redesign Stornoway House and build a trading floor for Cheyne Capital. The entire project was overseen by Sir Norman Foster
2004
Stornoway House became the offices of Cheyne Capital.

stornoway-house.jpg